Therapeutic massage incorporates a variety of advanced modalities that enhance the body’s natural restorative functioning. Light to firm touch is used to release tension, relax muscles, increase blood and lymph circulation, and impart a sense of calm. Therapeutic massage can be used as a collaborative, supportive addition to conventional medical treatment of illness and injury, alleviating pain and stress, aiding soft tissue healing, and revitalizing the body. Also, regular massage can enhance health, providing relaxation, release of muscle tightness, relief from anxiety and tensions, and balancing aspects of body/mind/spirit.
Research has shown that therapeutic massage techniques may be helpful in the following conditions:
• Stress, Anxiety, Depression: promotes relaxation response, enhances coping mechanisms in patients undergoing treatment for cancer, reduces symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress disorders
• Pain control: fibromyalgia, arthritis, sciatica, headaches, childbirth
• Chronic lung disease: increases respiratory function and decreases anxiety
• Digestive: adjunctive therapy to treatment of chronic constipation
• Injuries: overuse and repetitive strain injuries, workplace and athletic trauma, whiplash
Therapeutic Massage Techniques
• Swedish Massage: Flowing, kneading, and passive joint movement techniques. Promotes release of tensions and general relaxation. Stimulates nerve endings in the skin and connective tissue, increasing blood and lymph circulation.
• Deep Tissue Massage: Work done deep within the muscles and connective tissue. Slow strokes and deep finger pressure work to release contracted areas of muscles and surrounding tissue.
• Reflexology: Pressure point holds stimulate reflex channels. Effective for areas of tension or pain. Hands, feet, and ear pressure points are massaged to promote general well being.
• Neuromuscular Massage: Advance massage techniques effectively treat chronic pain and injuries. Improves muscular and postural imbalances.
• Craniosacral Therapy: Light touch holds work within the natural flows of the body. Results in deep relaxation and encouragement of the body’s alignment and natural healing ability.
• Lymph Drainage Therapy: Light pressure facilitates increased movement of lymph fluid. Complements treatment of auto-immune disorders, cancer treatments, surgery, and contributes to wellness through improved immune response.
• Reiki: Light touch, accesses Universal Life Energy. Can speed healing, reduce pain, and decrease symptoms.
• Hot Stone Massage Therapy: This 90 minute session uses a variety of large and small smooth heated stones to melt away tension and stress, resulting in deep relaxation.